It’s our tendency to approach every problem as if it were a fight between two sides. We see it in headlines that are always using metaphors for war. It’s a general atmosphere of animosity and contention that has taken over our public discourse.
More Deborah Tannen Quotes
- Life is a matter of dealing with other people, in little matters and cataclysmic ones, and that means a series of conversations.
- Each underestimates her own power and overestimates the other’s.
- The biggest mistake is believing there is one right way to listen, to talk, to have a conversation — or a relationship.
- For most women, the language of conversation is primarily a language of rapport….
- Communication is a continual balancing act, juggling the conflicting…
- If you come from, say, the northeastern part of the United States when you’re listening you need to…
- The key to conversation at work is flexibility and understanding how what you say might be perceived by others.
- Relationships are made of talk – and talk is for girls and women.
- They cannot get you to do what is so obvious to them you should do.