People like Eugene Debs, Helen Keller, Emma Goldman, Jack London and Upton Sinclair were wonderful writers who joined the movement against war and injustice, against capitalism and corporate power. That was a very exciting period in American history.
More Howard Zinn Quotes
- It is possible, reading standard histories, to forget half the population of the country.
- There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.
- I suggest that if you know history, then you might not be so easily fooled by the government…
- The great danger for American democracy is not from the protesters.
- When people don’t understand that the government doesn’t have their interests in mind, they’re more susceptible to go to war.
- I am willing to accept that there might be rare circumstances where applications of force might be effective.
- We will not know unless we begin.
- Representative government is closer to democracy than monarchy….
- Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience.