Politics: A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles. The conduct of public affairs for private advantage.
More Quotes by Ambrose Bierce
- » Painting: The art of protecting flat surfaces from the weather, and exposing them to the critic.
- » ADVICE, n. The smallest current coin. The man was in such deep distress, Said Tom…
- » Experience is a revelation in the light of which we renounce our errors of youth for those of age.
- » Suffrage, noun. Expression of opinion by means of a ballot.
- » Anoint, v.: To grease a king or other great functionary already sufficiently slippery.
- » Fork: An instrument used chiefly for the purpose of putting dead animals into the mouth.
- » An egotist is a person of low taste – more interested in himself than in me.